Friday, April 13, 2012

Pricing for F1 Circuit of the America's Out - OUCH

So the pricing has come out for some of the tickets at the Circuit of the America (COTA) track here in Austin. Well, I guess you can tell the type of people that come to the F1 race events.  I have never been to a racing event, but I have to say from the pricing, I think the clientele at F1 and NASCAR are quite a bit different!

Granted, I already had heard that the people that followed the F1 events were well to do, but I think I was caught by surprise with the discrepancy that this pricing will bring.  Sure, the tickets being shown right now would be considered the "box-seats", but they seem to be really expensive, especially since this is just one of the stops on the F1 tour.  Here is a link to the article I was reading:

http://www.kvue.com/news/F1-ticket-prices-range-from-375-to-1250-147298595.html

If I am reading this correctly, it appears to me that the cheapest of the premium tickets will be close to $2,000.  This includes the seat license and season ticket.  So, it would be for more than one event at the track.  I think they only have 2 listed as of now for the year.  Here is a link to the prices:

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/tickets

Well, either way, it does look like they are coming along on the track.  It should be pretty cool to have an F1 event in our backyard.  If they are able to get all of the premium tickets sold to people coming in from out of town, that should be great for the economy, because if they can afford those tickets, they will be spending some serious cash in the area.


1 comment:

  1. I'm a big racing fan in general, not so much F1, but WSB, MotoGP, Prototype Sports cars (Le Mans type things) and I am super stoked that we are getting a World Level Road Course here in Texas, but the cheapest ticket price for an F1 race is over 400.00. Thats insane.

    They will fill the stands the first few races for sure, but F1 has a LONG way to go to even come close to the level of fan support that NASCAR has in the US. NASCAR wont use this facility, (which is fine with me, Im not a NASCAR fan anyway) but Now there is a facility in New Jersy with an F1 race, you still have Laguna Seca in California, and Indy has rights for ten more years of F1. Add into that the race in Montreal and that makes FIVE F1 races per year in North America. Cannibalism will be rampant, and the bottom will fall out of 1300.00 ticket prices. There isnt even an American racing in F1 right now.

    ReplyDelete